Since I keep getting harassed to post an update today I will.
It's been 5 months and 6 days since my surgery and things are going well. My intake volume has changed over the last 5 months and last month a had my band filled to a very restricted level. The result is that in general I'm only able to eat about two ounces comfortably per meal, though occasionally depending on what it is I can get 4 - 6 ounces.
I'm very happy with my weight loss which depending on the scale is just over 100lbs with a significant increase immediately after the band tightening, but it has tapered off the last couple weeks. Of course, during those last couple weeks I also spent 8 days in Las Vegas and found numerous ways to cheat (on my diet) while I was there. And of course I come back from vegas and it's thanksgiving. But I even did quite well over the holiday.
My health overall is pretty darn good. I have had problems for the last couple of months with dizzy spells and the occasional blackout, but those can somewhat be attributed to me not drinking enough water. At a minimum I should be getting 64oz, but really I should be drinking twice that and I haven't been. Working out the last two months has been difficult because of the dizzyness, in fact with my personal trainer just last wednesday I had to cut it short because after each set I was to say the least a little wobbly. And lets face it, no one wants to catch me as I fall over. Since I got back from vegas I haven't been able to keep much food down either and it gets pretty painful when I try, but I'm moving back to my soft food diet for a few days and we will see if that helps.
The family is extremely supportive in the whole process, to a fault at times. Now that I'm healed I can drink a little carbonation but a certain 12 year old daughter who will remain nameless will have none of that and keeps doing her best to prevent it. I have made some very dear friends all of which have had WLS as well and they add a lot to my support system. We keep each other honest and act as a conscience to each other when we need it. It's important to have the family support and the support of those going through it as well.
My clothing doesn't fit which is great. I did go out and buy myself a pair of pants that fit because my wife pointed out I couldn't wear sweats when I go visit clients. She also pointed out that my favorite shirt absolutely drowns me, and to think six months ago, it was almost too small for me.
So far this journey has been easy and I know that I'm now heading for the hard parts and I can see myself starting to struggle a little already. The band is just a tool and I have to keep up with my diet and my exercise for that tool to work. Most failed banders start to fail at about six months, and foolish me timed it so that my six months is the holiday season. But with the support system I have around me, both family and friends I know I can do it.
1 comment:
We your friends are here for you, thinking of you and would love updated photos :). You're often in our thoughts and in our discussions and hoping you're doing well. It's great to get the update as we've been wondering how things have been going since the surgery! Keep us posted.
Post a Comment